From: Pierre Cassimans <kammicazze@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-embedded] Embedded Howto comments
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 09:50:12
1 >From: Joshua ChaitinPollak <jpollak@×××××××××××.com>
2 >Reply-To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
3 >To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
4 >Subject: [gentoo-embedded] Embedded Howto comments
5 >Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 19:22:02 -0400
6 >
7 >I just wanted to comment that when you follow the 0.8 (or Gentoo-ized
8 >howto), it directs you to use an older profile.
9 >
10 >When you try and emerge, portage warns that the profile is deprecated. If
11 >you use the new profile:
12 >
13 >uclibc/x86/2005.1/2.4
14 >
15 >Building the system works very well and everything went smoothly. When
16 >using this profile, I had no trouble with the following:
17 >
18 >1) No workarounds for bootstrapping or emerging the system
19 >2) The kernel compiles without trouble (no intl.h issue)
20
21 this issue is typical for all kernel > 2.6.12, so it's normal you don't get
22 problems with a 2.4 kernel
25 >This profile seems to have the 2.6.x kernels masked though, so I'm using
26 >2.4.30, which is what you get when you emerge vanilla-sources.
27 >
28 >Anyway, that's been working very smoothly for me.
29 >
30 >I'm having to do a PXE/DHCP/TFTP/NFS boot to bootstrap my embedded device.
31 >If I wrote up a bit on how to go about doing this, would someone integrate
32 >this into the Gentoo Embedded Howto?
33 >
34 >-Josh
35 >
36 >--