From: Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Can I get some interest in the uclibc-0.9.33.ebuild
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2012 18:05:45
1 Hi
2
3 > I will help push if you help me test. I would like to have a minimal
4 > system with asterisk. What do you suggest? I have plenty of
5 > experience with catalyst, but I know you're not using it, so show us
6 > your way?
7
8 I think probably that my way is suboptimal. I think Bertrands recent
9 post using crossdev is probably much neater.
10
11 However, what I do is simply grab a uclibc build environment. Chroot
12 into it (I have a script which sets up portage by symlinking and
13 mounting various dirs here and there). What you end up with is
14 effectively a running environment in the processor build and libc of
15 your choice. Clearly this doesn't work for archs that can't be run on
16 your CPU...
17
18 - Anyway, so chroot into build environment
19 - ROOT=/somedir emerge somestuff
20
21 If you scan back in the archives for posts from me with "ROOT=..." in
22 the body then you can see my basic skeleton. Happy to dig them out, if
23 they can't be found. It takes surprisingly few packages to build a
24 basic runnable system.
25
26 However, probably that's not what you want - not sure?
27
28 It is quite easy to do, but not a 2 min job if you haven't done it
29 before. Someone else documented the basic technique much better here:
30 http://www.anticore.org/ratgentoo/index.php?page=001 or google for
31 "tiny gentoo"...
34 > With catalyst I would probably have to create a uclibc profile, if
35 > case there isn't one already. Not a terribly big deal, but well, not
36 > what I want to focus on right now.
39 I suspect this is a better process from what you describe as your
40 experience. Just note the iconv pieces that I mentioned - they aren't
41 integrated into the ebuild at the moment and are really up for
42 discussion. As you yourself noted, adjust the futzing around with
43 db.txt to be something like
44 cat $FILEDIR/db.txt /etc/locale.gen > db.txt
45 This should merge locale.gen and generate the character conversions you
46 choose
47
48 If in doubt just comment out all that extra stuff I added - it's new and
49 not relevant to the main ebuild
50
51 Blah I'm rambling now...
52