From: Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Can I get some interest in the uclibc-0.9.33.ebuild
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2012 18:05:45
Hi

> I will help push if you help me test. I would like to have a minimal > system with asterisk. What do you suggest? I have plenty of > experience with catalyst, but I know you're not using it, so show us > your way?
I think probably that my way is suboptimal. I think Bertrands recent post using crossdev is probably much neater. However, what I do is simply grab a uclibc build environment. Chroot into it (I have a script which sets up portage by symlinking and mounting various dirs here and there). What you end up with is effectively a running environment in the processor build and libc of your choice. Clearly this doesn't work for archs that can't be run on your CPU... - Anyway, so chroot into build environment - ROOT=/somedir emerge somestuff If you scan back in the archives for posts from me with "ROOT=..." in the body then you can see my basic skeleton. Happy to dig them out, if they can't be found. It takes surprisingly few packages to build a basic runnable system. However, probably that's not what you want - not sure? It is quite easy to do, but not a 2 min job if you haven't done it before. Someone else documented the basic technique much better here: http://www.anticore.org/ratgentoo/index.php?page=001 or google for "tiny gentoo"...
> With catalyst I would probably have to create a uclibc profile, if > case there isn't one already. Not a terribly big deal, but well, not > what I want to focus on right now. >
I suspect this is a better process from what you describe as your experience. Just note the iconv pieces that I mentioned - they aren't integrated into the ebuild at the moment and are really up for discussion. As you yourself noted, adjust the futzing around with db.txt to be something like cat $FILEDIR/db.txt /etc/locale.gen > db.txt This should merge locale.gen and generate the character conversions you choose If in doubt just comment out all that extra stuff I added - it's new and not relevant to the main ebuild Blah I'm rambling now... Good luck Ed W