From: Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Cc: flameeyes@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-embedded] ref bug 297229 (virutal/libiconv vs sys-libs/uclibc[iconv] vs sys-devel/gcc)
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 11:05:46
6 > The problem is not build, the problem is that if libiconv is removed
7 _after_
8 > gcc is merged… it breaks.
11 I have seen you and others note this several times (and the reason why
12 seems clear), however, what I don't get is why this is any different to
13 the normal situation with glibc?
14
15 Q: Why would libiconv ever be uninstalled/removed?
16
17 Q: After installing libiconv and rebuilding gettext/gcc, the upgrade
18 process to a new libiconv presumably then becomes, 1) upgrade libiconv,
19 2) rebuild gettext/gcc, 3) delete old libiconv libraries? Sounds bearable?
20
21 Is the problem that under glibc there is no dependency created at all
22 with regards to iconv, but if libiconv is floating around then there is
23 a dep created? And subsequently it's "hard" to avoid recompiles of gcc
24 picking up libiconv, hence ever removing that dependency?
25
26 Is this basically the same issue with gettext on uclibc?
27
28 I guess the real question here is what's the best way to build glib
29 under uclibc? Recommendations please?
30
31 Thanks
32
33 Ed W