From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: "Peter S. Mazinger" <ps.m@×××.net>
Cc: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-embedded] Re: uclibc and busybox
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 23:20:39
1 On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 17:00, Peter S. Mazinger wrote:
2 > Hello!
3 >
4 > What are your intentions w/ busybox used w/ uclibc?
7 > Do you know of some intention making a "real" baselayout-lite using
8 > intensively busybox?
9
10 To be honest I've not had the chance to work with the baselayout-lite
11 yet. For the most part I've found for every device I've ever built I
12 always usually end up reworking the initscripts anyway.
13
14 But peb was the man working on this. But he is/(going to be) mostly away
15 for the better part of the next month now.
16
17 Yeah but that's not a problem. Here is what I'm doing now for my target
18 after installing the uclibc and busybox ipkg's into it.
19
20 if [ -e ./bin/busybox ]; then
21 echo ">>> Setting up busybox symlinks"
22 mount --bind /proc/ proc/
23 chroot . /bin/busybox --install -s
24 umount proc
25 fi
26
27 This is no quite something that should be done on the build hosting
28 system however. Now if we don't like what the ebuild does or provides us
29 with as far as options we can use the savedconfig option which will let
30 us provide compile time config's for busybox just the way we like it for
31 said CHOST /etc/busybox/* to use it.
32
33 Everybody will probably want to use this for the target busybox to keep
34 bloat size down.
35
36 Hey interesting enough we could pack a uclibc hardened busybox fully
37 loaded and a kernel and still probably fit it all on a compressed
38 floppy. (Hardened Net Rescue System) How stupid is that ! :)
41 > the ebuild itself does not provide anything useful as coreutils and so
42 > on replacement (the links are not added to the package, only a separate
43 > tarball is created
44 --
45 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
46 Gentoo (hardened,security,infrastructure,embedded,toolchain) Developer