From: Karl Hiramoto <karl@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] file system question
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 14:10:46
1 On 03/30/2010 12:42 AM, David Relson wrote:
2 > G'day,
3 >
4 > I'm porting the software for an embedded medical device from DOS to
5 > Linux and am wondering which file systems are appropriate and which are
6 > not. The device's mass storage is a Disk-on-Module solid state flash
7 > drive. Data is presently written at approx 100 bytes every 30 seconds
8 > but that might change to 100 bytes every second. The device has a
9 > watchdog (recently activated) and during today's session it was
10 > triggered and wiped out my file system.
11 >
12 It sounds like some kind of data logging application. If this is the
13 case what i would do is.
14
15 1. Mount read only a partition that contains the main system, to ensure
16 you can always boot and to avoid damage to the systems file
17
18 2. Mount read/write the partition that data gets written to. On boot
19 you can detect errors in this partition and reformat it if is totally
20 hosed.
21
22 3. In your application call fsync() on the file and perhaps the
23 directory after the writes to make sure the data gets to the flash. If
24 you are in fact logging, rotate your logs files so after they are X size
25 write to a new file. Files that are most likely to be damaged are ones
26 that are opened and being written to the moment the power cord gets yanked.
27
28 As Manual said, using the 'sync' option may help. Also see "man mount"
29 and /usr/src/linux/Documentation/filesystems/ext3.txt
30
31 Other options the improve reliability are data=journal and barrier=1
34 I've used ext3 and riserfs on CompactFlash but neither seems to be 100%
35 error proof. I've wanted to try NILFS2 but haven't done it yet.
38 Karl