From: Sven Rebhan <odinshorse@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] tzdata & friends
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 10:10:52
1 2010/6/11 Marcus Priesch <marcus@××××××××××××.at>:
2 > when i do it this way - syncing portage tree and updating selectively -
3 > i am not able to reproduce the entire build ... which - for me - is a no
4 > go ...
5
6 Well, if you want to keep versions stable for years you might want to
7 maintain an own portage tree and mount this via e.g. NFS on the
8 clients. To reproduce those builds you just need also to save the
9 versions of your build and do
10
11 for p in $(cat mypackagelist); do emerge =$p; done
12
13 However, you need to make sure that all source tarballs are avail
14 for years, which might be a problem as well. Furthermore, newer
15 versions of packages you _need_ to update (like your tzdata)
16 will probably require newer dependencies as well...
17
18 > thats why i wanted to use ubuntu lts - it's maintained with bug fixes
19 > for five years and doesnt change versions ... but as all of you might
20 > agree ... it's a no-go for other reasons ;)
21
22 I really think keeping versions stable for years and backporting fixes
23 is a lot of work and you need to make sure you have the resources
24 to maintain an own portage tree and backports of important fixes.
27 Sven