From: wireless <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] GPS board
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 21:06:45
On 04/14/12 14:38, Peter Stuge wrote:
> wireless wrote: >> I have not formally researched open source mapping efforts, so >> any feedback on that issue is keenly welcome. > > Start with http://openstreetmap.org/ > //Peter
EXCELLENT! OK so to help create maps, I'm think of designing (cobbling together initially) a gps, and a (water) depth reading output, so in a boat, I can begin mapping the near shore environment. How does open street map data get created and are there existing open source embedded boards one can buy, install in a car and help extend/enhance the data collected? Or, roll your own? It seem they already have the land methodologies developed, what about near-shore marine? Any open source software efforts for that yet? In the past I did run across some for when you are out in the wilderness, but, I did not save the links..... I just got my account, so I'll be looking into opensteetmap... James