From: Jack Poulson <poulson.jack@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] ARMs w/ Floating Point
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 04:32:21
1 Unluckily, state-space calculations are usually chalk-full of all those
2 guys.
3
4 Thankfully, C is my language of choice, and I'd be more than happy with
5 any references at all.
6
7 On 7/14/07, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <znmeb@×××××××.net> wrote:
8 >
9 > Jack Poulson wrote:
10 > > There flight tests proved the current system inefficient for all of the
11 > > planned computation and communication with the groundserver. They
12 > > claimed to be using a 416 Mhz xscale, which seems fairly beefy to me,
13 > > and I was under the impression that ramming floating point instructions
14 > > through a fixed-point register was grossly inefficient.
15 > >
16 > > However, I am very new to embedded systems, and your question
17 > > makes me think that the control algorithm itself is the culprit.
18 >
19 > In all likelihood you are emulating IEEE floating point in software,
20 > most likely because fixed point algorithms aren't all that well known
21 > outside of old fogeys like myself and people with a lust for squeezing
22 > the ultimate out of embedded hardware.
23 >
24 > If you're lucky, it's only 32-bit arithmetic. If you're *real* lucky,
25 > there are no logs, exponentials or trig functions in the code. If you're
26 > really really lucky, there aren't even any divides or square roots. :)
27 >
28 > By the way, it's been so long since I did any of this stuff that I don't
29 > know where one can find *current* references on the subject. But if
30 > you're willing to get your hands dirty in C and/or Forth code, there are
31 > some rewards waiting for you. You'd be amazed how much interesting stuff
32 > you can do with table lookup.
33 > --
34 > gentoo-embedded@g.o mailing list