From: Christopher Friedt <chrisfriedt@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Artigo
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2009 16:13:29
1 It's good that the Artigo is pre-wrapped up in a nice enclosure, but
2 there are a few slightly more impressive fanless devices from MSI that
3 tote dual-core intel atom 330 chips.
4
5 http://www.logicsupply.com/products/ms_9832
6
7 Personally, I would like to get my hands on one of the dual-core atom
8 machines just to have a couple of extra threads available for
9 compiling binary packages. It could easily play a second role as an
10 HTPC, if one were to drop a PCI TV tuner card inside. Although with
11 the change to HDTV, I'm not really sure where PCI TV tuner cards will
12 be in a year or two.
13
14 On the other hand, I tend to root for the underdog, and hopefully
15 we'll see some competition for the Atom-330 when VIA starts shipping
16 its dual-core Isaiah chips. I'm very tempted to wait until the Nvidia
17 Ion platform is being fabricated, paired with the Via Nano. If I could
18 buy a dual-core Via Nano chip and the GeForce 9400M on the same board,
19 all bets would be off. Although it is wishful thinking, it might not
20 be unrealistic according to [1].
21
22 C
23