From: Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] GPS board
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 12:05:08
1 > I may also rig a temperature sensor to the boat hull, or via a tether.
2
3 If you want this to scale to potentially commercial end users, I would
4 consider an NMEA based off the shelf sensor? Although the prices are
5 quickly > £100, ie non trivial, NMEA 0183 sensors are plentiful and
6 NMEA2K is getting rapidly available (add an Actisys bridge to get data
7 into the computer)
8
9 > What concerns me about openstreetmap, is I had envisioned a system where
10 > the database is downloaded to the operator's embedded system depending
11 > on the anticipated area of local/regional travel, thus not having to
12 > depend on constant/reliable internet access.
13
14 Can you not download openstreetmap?
15
16 Your bigger issue is that it's not really a nautical mapping system?
17
18 In the USA you can have all the raster nautical and aviation maps for
19 free (cool). The argument goes that the tax payer already paid for
20 them, so the data is made completely freely available
23 > My reason for using this list, is to flush out any gentoo-ish
24 > common ground or any hardware suggestions; not an expose
25 > on openstreetmap....
26
27 I think you should consider some other options also:
28
29 - Small embedded server which collects the information, with a handheld
30 system then connecting via http or similar. I like the PC Engines Alix
31 boards.
32 - OpenCPN customised for your needs
33
34 The top one is similar to something I'm working on. We
35 (http://www.mailasail.com) are building a small embedded router for
36 connecting all the communications bits on a boat together and we can
37 easily take in NMEA and repeat it via GPSD. I plan to either write, or
38 pay someone to write, a fancy javascript based instrument console
39 something along the lines of the ipad "NMEARemote" app. The goal would
40 be to use all the responsive magic that's easy to get these days to make
41 it scale from a phone to tablet screen.
42
43 I think with a decent browser on your tablet you can fairly easily build
44 decent web apps these days, especially if you don't need to target IE.
45 To my eye this dramatically simplifies the problem because you can use
46 off the shelf components and focus on the software
47
48 As an aside if anyone here is interested in extra work I have a fairly
49 big backlog of web based work. Probably need backbone+jquery skills
50 with a Rails/Mojolicious backend to talk to
51
52 Good luck
53
54 Ed W