From: Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] gcc-4.6 / bionic
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 13:03:42
1 On 11/04/2011 23:52, Arkadi Shishlov wrote:
2 > On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 00:11:04 +0300, Christopher Friedt
3 > <chrisfriedt@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> Is anyone interested in having a look yet? I guess I could post it on
5 >> gitorious as a layman overlay.
6 >
7 > What is the (long-term) technical advantage to use bionic, compared to
8 > glibc and uclibc?
11 I would like to hear some answers also. Google's top hit is:
12
13 http://codingrelic.geekhold.com/2008/11/six-million-dollar-libc.html
14
15 That's some years out of date and can be summarised as: advantage is a
16 bsd licence versus an lgpl licence. Also some speedup due to dropping
17 support for c++ exceptions. Also in 2008 there was no TLS in uclibc
18 (seems quite mature at least in current uclibc git)
21 This does raise a good point - can "we" really work on getting uclibc
22 next release out and stabilised as quickly as possible? It's a massive
23 improvement over prior releases and even the unreleased git should
24 become everyone's version of choice right now (for a certain definition
25 of everyone). On x86 a very large proportion of software now compiles
26 without obvious problems
27
28 I'm using a trivial bump of the in tree ebuild to grab the current git
29 uclibc and very pleased with it
32 Cheers
33
34 Ed W