From: Brenden Walker <Brenden@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-embedded] newbie - building bootable image for ARM target on I686 host
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2009 20:20:04
1 I'm new to embedded linux, but been using Gentoo for a long time.. I'd like to use gentoo embedded of course.
2
3 I'm working on a project that will likely be deployed on an ARM processor, the application will most likely be written in java so I need to be able to create a bootable ARM *nix image with a JVM installed on it. Our application would likely reside on writable media, the OS probably RO.
4
5 I've setup a Gentoo system for cross dev to arm-unknown-linux-gnu and that all works. I've setup a seperate root and can emerge packages there.
6
7 What I'm stumped on it how to make a bootable disk image. At this time the plan was to use QEMU to demonstrate the basic process and for use in developing our application, so a disk image suitable for QEMU is what I'm hoping for.
10 Hope what I'm trying to do is clear, I found a lot of resources on the net (allowed me to get cross compiling up and running with no hassle) just can't seem to find anything that puts it all together. I've already traveled down a couple of dead end paths (GNAP, which doesn't seem to support ARM..?) hoping someone here could point me in the correct direction.
11
12 Thanks!