From: Kfir Lavi <lavi.kfir@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Marvell switch 6131 and the DSA driver
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 11:06:24
1 On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 12:30 AM, Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se> wrote:
2 > Kfir Lavi wrote:
3 >> > do you have a manual for the board? what does it say about what
4 >> > you can do with the usb link?
5 >>
6 >> We have configured this board via USB using windows, so I guess I
7 >> should be able to use the board over USB.
8 >
9 > You should be able to also configure the board over USB using Linux
10 > of course. But if Windows with vendor software did not expose a
11 > networking interface for the switch then Linux probably also can not.
12 >
13 > I find it very likely that the USB interface is only for
14 > configuration and not actual network packets.
15
16 Yes you right. Windows also see it as a Marvel evaluation board
17 but not a network interface. When using Marvell's software on
18 Windows, then we see that the port is using SMI
19 (which is the configuration interface).
22 > It is definately possible to have USB network interfaces, but that
23 > is not something that would be built-in to a switch. Can you look at
24 > the board and identify some chips? If not, maybe you can post a
25 > high-resolution photo where chip markings are visible? Then people
26 > with good experience from the chips could help you identify what
27 > chips are being used, and make some informed guesses about
28 > capabilities of the different interfaces.
29 >
30 > (Assuming that there is no information about what you can and can not
31 > do in documentation or otherwise available from the vendor, in which
32 > case that would of course be a much more efficient source of
33 > information. :)
34 >
35 I'm not able to do that, as we are signed on NDA with them, and I just
36 don't know what is right and what is wrong.
37
38 I just wanted this to work over usb as a quick hack, but I think I'll wait
39 for it to be soldered to my cpu.
42 > //Peter
46 Regards,
47 Kfir