From: Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] generating root file systems
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 11:12:03
I would be happy to work with you on this - however, I also saw on Planet Gentoo something about a gentoaster project - possibly related? http://hexxeh.net/?p=328117725 What I have is a very simple portage-a-like to support the case that I have several stages to my script. - Mounting all necessary sources - Building a base system - Copying base to target ready to be imaged - Image - Unmount Additionally I am trying a packaging system using aufs + squashfs, so I am building more than one target image and the whole gets stacked together at the end The scripting is fairly simple, but I guess this could develop into some best practices..? Arguably this is re-inventing catalyst, but speaking from inexperience, catalyst appears to work best when the ebuilds are perfect and need to micro patching - for embedded builds some flexibility is very helpful. Patching ebuilds in mind: I have been experimenting with /etc/portage/patches and also the bashrc for broad patching, eg where some long standing patch or config customisation is necessary (eg delete some openrc file which makes no sense, or customise some udev config, etc) I guess if we could get this well written up then it would encourage others to look at gentoo for embedded development? At the moment it's very powerful, but I sense there is a steep learning curve while you develop your own build environment? How do you think we should proceed? Ed W