From: Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] generating root file systems
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 11:12:03
1 On 07/07/2011 16:27, Christopher Harvey wrote:
2 > I was wondering if there was any interest in adding a script that could
3 > generate a bootable linux filesystem from a cross compiled target
4 > directory.
5
6 I would be happy to work with you on this - however, I also saw on
7 Planet Gentoo something about a gentoaster project - possibly related?
8 http://hexxeh.net/?p=328117725
9
10 What I have is a very simple portage-a-like to support the case that I
11 have several stages to my script.
12
13 - Mounting all necessary sources
14 - Building a base system
15 - Copying base to target ready to be imaged
16 - Image
17 - Unmount
18
19 Additionally I am trying a packaging system using aufs + squashfs, so I
20 am building more than one target image and the whole gets stacked
21 together at the end
22
23 The scripting is fairly simple, but I guess this could develop into some
24 best practices..?
25
26 Arguably this is re-inventing catalyst, but speaking from inexperience,
27 catalyst appears to work best when the ebuilds are perfect and need to
28 micro patching - for embedded builds some flexibility is very helpful.
29
30 Patching ebuilds in mind: I have been experimenting with
31 /etc/portage/patches and also the bashrc for broad patching, eg where
32 some long standing patch or config customisation is necessary (eg delete
33 some openrc file which makes no sense, or customise some udev config, etc)
34
35 I guess if we could get this well written up then it would encourage
36 others to look at gentoo for embedded development? At the moment it's
37 very powerful, but I sense there is a steep learning curve while you
38 develop your own build environment?
39
40 How do you think we should proceed?
41