From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: "Peter S. Mazinger" <ps.m@×××.net>
Cc: David Bryson <david@×××××××××.com>, gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] [Fwd: building glib w/o libiconv/iconv]
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 00:54:10
1 On Wed, 2004-09-22 at 01:15, Peter S. Mazinger wrote:
2 > On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, David Bryson wrote:
3 >
4 > > On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 04:51:19PM -0400, Ned Ludd wrote:
5 > > > Can somebody please review this. I've got my hands full right now.
6 > > > If it works, it would solve a few problems with some needed/desired
7 > > > software under uClibc environments more so as it seems glib1 has been
8 > > > depreciated @ gentoo.
9 > > >
10 > > > I'm not sure myself about the free() in the iconv_close() function
11 > > > without looking at the inner workings of glib2.
12 > > >
13 > > > thanks in advance.
14 > > >
15 > >
16 > > PSM + Solar + All
17 > > I applied the patch and tried to compile glib-2.4.6 with my chroot of
18 > > spanky's stage3-x86-uclibc-20040909 snapshot.
19 > >
20 > > Still died with:
21 > > configure: error: *** No iconv() implementation found in C library or
22 > > libiconv
23
24 I worked around that one by changing the AC_MSG_ERROR to AC_MSG_RESULT
25 so it would echo vs exit. Same for gettext. And ran autoconf to make a
26 new configure script. glib2 did not seem to respect it but I enabled
27 enabled --with-libiconv=no. This was still not enough as gconvert.c was
28 still unconditionally including iconv.h. touching a blank iconv.h in
29 glib-2.6.7/glib/iconv.h did the trick and allowed it to compile for the
30 first time. I ended up wrapping an #ifdef around the include file vs
31 using touch.
32
33 http://oc12.net/~solar/glib-2.4.6-config.patch
34 http://oc12.net/~solar/glib-2.4.6-no_iconv.patch (updated psm version)
35 http://oc12.net/~solar/glib-2.4.6.ebuild
36
37 I'm still not sure about that free() in the iconv_close() function.
38 Don't know if/where memory is being allocated in the first place for the
39 iconv_t struct. Either we will be trying to free invalid pointers or we
40 wont.
43 > the patch is not enough, you have to disable gettext and [lib]iconv test
44 > results too in configure. I am not interested if the patch applies and
45 > builds (it does already for me), I am interested if the dummy functions
46 > are written correctly.
47 > If though interested, I can send you the full patch to allow building on
48 > uclibc.
49 >
50 > Thanks Peter
53 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
54 Gentoo (hardened,security,infrastructure,embedded) Developer