From: jesse@×××××××××××××.com
To: Angelo Arrifano <miknix@g.o>, gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] "Gentoo on the Marvell Sheevaplug" Code Listing 3.6 question
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 01:05:53
1 On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 02:01 +0200, "Angelo Arrifano" <miknix@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 > On 26-06-2010 01:42, jesse@×××××××××××××.com wrote:
4 > > On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 01:36 +0200, "Angelo Arrifano" <miknix@g.o>
5 > > wrote:
6 > >> On 26-06-2010 01:00, jesse@×××××××××××××.com wrote:
7 > >>> Howdy. I'd like to know how Gentoo devs build the files in Code Listing
8 > >>> 3.6 in http://dev.gentoo.org/~armin76/arm/sheevaplug/install.xml ? I'd
9 > >>> like to build those files myself, and would love to see your recipe,
10 > >>> even if it's very rough. I'm especially interested in what tools you
11 > >>> used. Thanks.
12 > >>
13 > >> * uImage_kwplug is just Linux - the kernel. The sources are mainly
14 > >> available on kernel.org. You need a cross compiler to build them for
15 > >> this particular Marvell CPU. Look on Gentoo documentation how to build a
16 > >> cross compiler and how to compile the kernel.
17 > >>
18 > >> * sheevaplug.initramfs - This is just the bootable userspace. Since we
19 > >> are at Gentoo, I guess it was produced using our cross-compiler
20 > >> toolchain which is embedded in the Gentoo's package manager. Look on our
21 > >> documentation how to build a cross compiler and cross compile with
22 > >> emerge.
23 > >>
24 > >> Keywords: crossdev, emerge, cross root compilation, cross compile kernel
25 > >>
26 > >> There are no secrets, everything is widely available
27 > >> Have fun ;)
28 > >>>
29 > >>> Cheers,
30 > >>> Jesse Adelman
31 > >>> San Francisco, CA
32 > >>>
33 > >>
34 > >>
35 > >
36 > > Thanks, Angelo. I should have been more specific, and narrow. :) I'm
37 > > really interested in the initramfs generation. I've got a ARM toolchain
38 > > configured (yay qemu-arm and distcc... takes about 48 hours to
39 > > emptytree-build a stripped-down userspace given my resources), and have
40 > > a chrooted ARM rootfs made, but I'm curious how it was made into an
41 > > "initramfs".
42 >
43 > A initramfs is just a cpio archive of your rootfs. You will have to take
44 > special attention to the init process and what init will spawn. Also
45 > take care of required virtual filesystems like proc, and make available
46 > required devices nodes like console and ttys.
47 >
48 > Again, Google for "make initramfs". I came up with this one:
49 > http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Initramfs
50 >
51 > If UBoot supports it, you can also try to create an initrd. You can
52 > produce compressed initrds using several tools like mkcramfs, mksquashfs
53 > etc..
54 >
55 > > My plan is to have boot into an SD Card on the sheevaplugs
56 > > and guruplugs, but booting the rootfs from tftp like the docs do would
57 > > make for easier testing.
58 >
59 > Just configure your initramfs/initrd to mount the SD card and then
60 > pivot_root into the SD card. There are plenty of examples on the
61 > internet, specially with busybox.
62 >
63 > Regards,
64 > >
65 > > Cheers,
66 > > Jesse Adelman
67 > > San Francisco, CA
71 So, you-all don't use dracut or mkinitrd? Just a list of commands used
72 to build the stuff you put up for download would be great. Thanks.