From: AJ Armstrong <aja@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Welcome
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 01:57:16
1 > Not all embedded systems have very tight space constraints.
2 > I'm working on a system here that I'm going to have 64meg of flash for
3 > the system. I don't need to get all that tight.
4
5 Well, maybe you don't but I do - and a defining characteristic of
6 "Embedded Systems" is resource restriction. I'd personally be
7 disappointed if we don't make an early commitment to strive to keep
8 resource requirements on the base system as small as possible. That's not
9 to say that I think we should force that on all people who use the system
10 - but its an awful lot easier to add things to a minimalist system than to
11 try and pare them away from a system that wasn't designed at the outset to
12 be minimalist.
17 www.clanarmstrong.com
18
19 qui tacet consentire videtur