From: Chuck Robey <chuckr@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-embedded] lib loss disaster
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2006 21:14:47
I just finished recovering from a disaster, and I would relly appreciate
any guesses (or just beter knowledge?) about the possible source of my
disaster.  The main symptom was that a large fraction of my executeables
just stopped working, all claiming to be missing libstdc++.  I tried
emerging gcc again, and even tried to bring back an older one (from
gcc-4.0.3) but that didn't work, and the only libstdc++ package didn't
seem to fix it either.  I finally mounted a memory image off the livecd,
and copied all the libstdc++ files (and made the various linkks, until
ldconfig seemed pleased with me, and all my apps started to work again.

My guess here is that some emerge package did this, perhaps one of the
recent java things I installed, because I had interrupted the
installation once of twice while things were ongoing, as I figured
things out.  Anyone have any better notions how I managed this?

Thanks