From: wireless <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] newbie - building bootable image for ARM target on I686 host
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2009 17:25:18
1 Brenden Walker wrote:
2 > On Fri, 07 Aug 2009 13:09:56 +0200 Karl Hiramoto <karl@××××××××.org> wrote:
3 >> Brenden Walker wrote:
4 >>> I'm new to embedded linux, but been using Gentoo for a long time..
5 > <snip>
6 >>> time the plan was to use QEMU to demonstrate the basic process and
7 >>> for use in developing our application, so a disk image suitable for
8 >>> QEMU is what I'm hoping for.
9 >> The concept of bootable disk doesn't really exist. On most ARM HW
10 >> i've worked with the way the boot process works is you have a boot
11 >> loader (redboot, uboot, etc) that loads the kernel, then the kernel
12 >> paramaters tell it how to mount the root FS.
13 >>
14 >> QEMU works kinda the same. QEMU is the boot loader and you tell it
15 >> the kernel image name, then pass the kernel args to mount the root
16 >> for example:
17 >>
18 >> qemu-system-arm -M versatilepb -hda sda.img -kernel zImage -append
19 >> "root=/dev/sda1 clock=pit"
22 >> If your interested in the kernel details theres a general doc in
23 >> <linux>/Documentation/arm/Booting
26 >> I have an old (kernel 2.6.19) qemu image, based on one somebody on
27 >> this list posted a long time ago, that you can boot:
28 >> http://karl.hiramoto.org/embedded/qemu-arm.tar.lzma
29 >
30 > Thanks for the help, I think my main issues are what boot loader, how to get it into an
31 >image and what to use to build the image. If I can get that figured out, I've got a
32 >gentoo setup for building arm binaries... I could probably muddle through the rest ;-).
35 I just read in the Linux Journal that there is an effort under way to
36 standardize how all(most) linux distro bootstrap the Kernel. It may
37 make an interesting read for you to research these new efforts.
38
39 Whether you use a stock bootloader, one from a vendor, or hack your
40 own, it definately affects how you subsequent system will perform,
41 and what licenses are relevant to your project, so do your research
42 to ensure what you use is consistent with how you intend to use the
43 work-product.....
46 caveat emptor,
49 James