From: Shinkan <shinkan@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] emerge --root : users not created
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 14:01:07
1 2009/12/15 Ahmed Ammar <b33fc0d3@g.o>
4 > Well how exactly do you expect chroot to succeed when the host is x86
5 > and the ${ROOT} is arm?
9 To some questions I read :
10 I use a amd64 host to build amd64 targets environments.
11 I use cross-emerge and not crossdev or chroot because my target don't have
12 and WILL NOT have portage, gcc, make or any other build-related tool. My
13 targets will run on livecd, so they won't even have (tmp-excluded) writing
14 needs.
15 My build needs REQUIRES by process that I could not even put gcc/portage/etc
16 on my target, chroot and build with them, then remove them.
17
18 For now, I think of chrooting to useradd manually, or copying some
19 pre-generated /etc/{passwd,shadow,group,...} to my target dir.
20
21 I do think it's a bug, because man emerge says that --root is supposed to do
22 everything emerge could do but somewhere else.
23 If I emerge locally a ebuild that makes a user, I expect emerge
24 --root=/target to also make users on /target filesystem.
28 Pierre.
29 "Sometimes when I'm talking, my words can't keep up with my thoughts. I
30 wonder why we think faster than we speak. Probably so we can think twice." -
31 Bill Watterson