From: Chris PeBenito <pebenito@g.o>
To: Embedded Gentoo Mail List <gentoo-embedded@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-embedded] libc (was Re: [gentoo-embedded] Welcome)
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 05:09:40
1 On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 19:45, Justin Huff wrote:
2 > > > We're kicking around the idea of creating profile(s) for the systems,
3 > > > which would obviously have the bare minimum for operation and would be
4 > > > using uClibc.
5 > > >
6 > > I'd suggest you use glibc at the moment. A uClibc-based build will be
7 > > incompatible with all the pre-existing binaries.
8 >
9 > I think it's very worthwhile to support both glibc and uclibc (and maybe
10 > dietlibc). Not all embedded systems have very tight space constraints.
11 > I'm working on a system here that I'm going to have 64meg of flash for
12 > the system. I don't need to get all that tight.
13
14 Ok, well I guess I stated this too absolutely. uClibc is the main libc
15 target, but this is still Gentoo. We're not trying to eliminate
16 people's choice. But making the profile big by making glibc default is
17 a disservice to people who really have resource constraints. So most
18 likely the best thing would be to set uClibc as the default for
19 virtual/glibc (fix the uClibc ebuilds if needed) and put virtual/glibc
20 in the profile. Then the choice will still remain, if glibc is
21 wanted/needed.
24 Chris PeBenito
25 <pebenito@g.o>
26 Developer, SELinux
27 Hardened Gentoo Linux
28 Embedded Gentoo Linux
29
30 Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xE6AF9243
31 Key fingerprint = B0E6 877A 883F A57A 8E6A CB00 BC8E E42D E6AF 9243