From: Jason <gentoo@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] NSLU2 and update to a newer kernel
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 17:28:32
1 Sven Mueller wrote:
2 >
3 > I think you may have followed the instructions here [1]. Does that look
4 > right?
7 > No*, ich have my NSLU2 installed from a image that I found at
8 > forums.gentoo.org <http://forums.gentoo.org>.
9 > But the chapter "Compiling a kernel" from [1] looks very interesting.
10
11 Cool, give it a try. Also, you may want to check your /etc/profile, eg:
12
13 # ls -l /etc/make.profile
14 /etc/make.profile -> ../usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/amd64/2007.0
15
16 An old profile can often force a 2.4.x kernel/kernel headers.
17
18 Also, when was the last time you updated portage?
19
20 If it becomes too difficult, I would suggest trying to rebuild from
21 scratch. The Gentoo Embedded Handbook [1] will give you a toolchain and
22 a basic build environment. Then, I use some of the nslu2-linux docs [2]
23 to test the image. When I have an image I like, the Redboot docs [3]
24 showed me how to burn the image to flash. At the very least, it's a
25 great way to learn embedded development. Also, cross-compiling on a
26 development host is _a_lot_ faster than compiling natively. ;-)
27
28 At the very least, you'll end up using [2] and [3] once you get your
29 kernel built.
30
31 hth,
32