From: wireless <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-embedded] IP stack testing with gentoo
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 16:54:52
1 Hello,
2
3 I'm new to this group but not to embedded systems. I have some
4 fundamental questions on testing IP stacks on Microchip 18F8720
5 against Gentoo servers and eventually gentoo embedded systems.
6
7 Currently we're using the default microchip IP stack (AN833):
8
9 http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=1824&appnote=en011993
10
11 We have it working on both the PICdem development boards and
12 a board we laid out that has Ethernet, compact flash and an
13 18F8720. What we have done differently is connect the
14 Ethernet chip across the external memory bus on this pic 18F
15 chip.
16
17 Microchip gives us a baseline stack to start with:
18 udp, dhcp, ftp(server), icmp, arp http and ip(gleaning).
19
20 I have many gentoo systems to work with. We are using ethereal
21 on a flat hub to sniff the connections between the the target and
22 a PC running windows and the microchip IDE (Integrated
23 Development Environment) software. I know I can set up a DHCP
24 server and test/sniff those sessions for development purposes.
25 Likewise ftp, http and icmp are straightforward to tested.
26 However, I'm looking for suggestions as to how to set testing
27 for udp, in a simple fashion. The chip has a basic embedded
28 web server that uses xmodem for file uploads.
29
30 Also, should we need to add rarp, and if so, could somebody
31 tell me where to get a very simple/basic rarp code snippet
32 so we may build upon it? Do you think we need rarp? The board
33 will be a remote datalogger for industrial processes, and we
34 intend to add snmp 1 or 3 support also.
35
36 I'm a gentoo centric kind of guy, but our main firmware engineer
37 is a doz person, with her first linux (gentoo) system. She's very
38 strong with C, any assembler and any hardware issues, and most
39 eager to master embedded (gentoo)linux.
40
41 Is this forum ok with these sorts of questions?
42
43 sincerely,
44 James Horton
45 --