From: Christopher Friedt <cfriedt@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] gentoo-embedded buildroot utility
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 19:36:56
1 Hi Hanni,
2
3 Distcc would be especially useful to test out 'out-of-the-box'
4 successful toolchain compilations - it takes approximately 10 (failure)
5 - 50 (success) minutes for me to test toolchain builds on x86
6
7 To take into account every permutation of libc, binutils,
8 kernel-headers, and gcc version - it could easily approach a week or
9 more on a uniprocessor system!
10
11 It would likely also be entirely possible to integrate that into the
12 buildroot itself if one had access to several similar architectures
13 running an instance of the chroot.
14
15 The script is really huge - I'm currently still in the middle of trying
16 to wrap my head around all of the toolchain-specific files / directories
17 / subsystems that are required to mount / create / destroy upon chroot /
18 exit.
19
20 I'll send you the script, and please try it out - no license information
21 is included (b/c at the moment it is still alpha) but will surely be
22 available by the free-est GPL or BSD license.
25 It's good to hear that you could see the value in this too!!
28 ~/Chris
29
30 Hanni Ali wrote:
31 > Sounds fascinating and potentially a very useful tool.
32 >
33 > I would be keen to integrate distcc support into it to allow faster builds,
34 > I would be happy to work on that aspect of the script if you like.
35 >
36 > Hanni
39 gentoo-embedded@g.o mailing list