From: Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] ref bug 297229 (virutal/libiconv vs sys-libs/uclibc[iconv] vs sys-devel/gcc)
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2010 12:05:45
1 On 04/06/2010 00:02, Ned Ludd wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2010-06-03 at 11:42 +0100, Ed W wrote:
3 > [snip]
6 >> I guess the real question here is what's the best way to build glib
7 >> under uclibc? Recommendations please?
11 > mini-iconv.c
12
13 Do you have a recipe for this? I have built a couple of things using
14 mini-iconv.c now and it seems often to need a bit of hacking of config
15 files more than anything else. I don't recall exactly what came up with
16 glib, but it seemed like a much harder problem - from memory I believe
17 it also had a required dependency on gettext that seemed unavoidable? (I
18 gave up at that point I think?)
21 > or fake it.
24 See now, I'm still missing the bigger picture here. I'm still not sure
25 I understand why I don't just do this "properly" and either use iconv in
26 uclibc or libiconv (and gettext)? Is there anything "bad" in having
27 libiconv installed other than it becoming an accidently gcc dep? (And is
28 that an unmanageable situation?)
29
30 From the point of view of an ignoramous this seems like a real battle
31 to avoid that which has bearable consequences to just give in and go
32 with the flow? I must be missing something important though - how/where
33 is this going to bite me in the future? I would like to try and figure
34 this out now rather than suffer pain later...
35
36 Thanks
37
38 Ed W