From: Vano D <gentoo-dev@××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@g.o
Cc: Chris PeBenito <pebenito@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] glibc and standard baselayout minimalist installation
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2003 15:23:11
On Fri, 2003-11-07 at 20:52, Chris PeBenito wrote:
> > For these embedded systems it would be nice if we had a > > baselayout-lite. I'm not convinced every init script for these tiny > > processors needs to source 300+ lines of bash functions to just > > I agree with this. I'm not sure if it would be better to maintain our > own baselayout-lite, or if it would be better to try to make an option > for the current baselayout to make a tiny install. My instincts tell me > the former, but I don't think it would be too fun to maintain. :\
I think we can try to do both and see which one is the best method and I guess dump the worst method. Right now I dont think it is easy to see which one is the best method (unless there is someone around who has experience in tweaking Gentoo for embedded and can let us know). Maintaining a simple stripped down baselayout-lite should not be *that* hard since I guess it would be a rather small and simple package (I dont know why I keep on thinking of simple rc files ala slackware all the time). But on the other hand, having a script which strips/modifies the current standard baselayout also seems interesting. But this depends on how often the main baselayout goes through drastic changes (which is not that often iirc). So my vote is trying both methods and see what results we get. -- Vano D <gentoo-dev@××××××××××××××××.com> -- gentoo-embedded@g.o mailing list