From: "Lutz Schönemann" <lutz.schoenemann@××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-embedded] Building Crosscompiler for Embedded System
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 09:34:08
Hi,
I've problems building an working Cross-Compiler to use it for an i386
embedded system. Until now I've tried the following two things:

- Using crossdev:
The crossdev script worked fine and installed the whole toolchain
(stage4: binutils, gcc, linux-headers, etc.). The trouble is that when I
want to merge a packege with this compiler (e.g.: CFLAGS="-arch=i386"
ROOT=/tmp/cross/ CHOST=i386-unknown-linux-gnu emerge sys-boot/syslinux)
it ends up with the message that the compiler is unable to build
executables.

- Building toolchain manually:
I tried to build a crosscompile-toolchain manually following this HOWTO:
http://dev.gentoo.org/~vapier/CROSS-COMPILE-HOWTO
I have done every step and no errors until step 5. The merge process
terminated with this message:

grep: ${top_srcdir}/../gcc/version.c: No such file or directory
/usr/i386-unknown-linux-gnu/bin/ld: crt1.o: No such file: No such file
or directory
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure: error: unknown endianess - sorry

All the Warnings/Errors I have pasted at:
http://nopaste.easy-coding.de/?id=404

Thanks for help

Lutz Schönemann