From: joerg.faschingbauer@×××.at
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o, lists@××××××××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] root on squashfs+aufs
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2009 21:13:39
1 >>>>> "Ed" == Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com> writes:
2
3 Ed> Hmm, I think I need to read up on the aufs mount options. I'm still
4 Ed> at the planning stage, but if aufs is really this flexible then it
5 Ed> will help a lot. Sounds like you can pretty much do "ls -1 | sort" in
6 Ed> your case and use the result as your mount command?
7
8 That's basically what I do.
9
10 Ed> Perhaps you don't even need your hook scripts then? They could just
11 Ed> become normal /etc/init.d scripts and would get run normally as part
12 Ed> of the standard boot process?
13
14 They don't run just because they are there. Well, I could add the
15 symlinks in /etc/runlevels/default which is what rc-update does, but
16 that's no fun.
17
18 We enjoy the flexibility of the scripts because they provide a
19 convenient way to glue the system together. For example, several
20 packages contribute kernel modules, and it's a hook script where we
21 call 'depmod -a' to create a consistent view of the entire
22 system. Much like env-update is called from a hook to gather
23 environment settings from different packages.
24
25 Ed> Did you consider gpg signing stuff? I can see this would make a lot
26 Ed> of sense for my app, but worried this is going to add a ton of time to
27 Ed> the boot process...
28
29 We sign ISO files, this involves ECDSA and smartcards. I cannot tell
30 you more, or I'll have to kill you. (Honestly, I don't quite
31 understand what's going on exactly.)
32
33 Cheers,
34 Joerg