From: "Stanisław Raczyński" <sraczynski@××.pl>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Building a cross-compile environment for ARM
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 13:49:36
Derick Swanepoel wrote:

>Hi, > >I'm busy building a cross-compile environment for an ARM (XScale) in an x86 >host environment, but I'm having trouble emerging packages like procps and >gdb which require headers from /usr/include. > >
What do you need procps for? If you're using busybox, it already contains ps, free, top and kill and it should be enough for most embedded systems.
>I've built an armeb-softfloat-linux-uclibc cross toolchain with crossdev >which can successfully compile uclibc, bash, baselayout, etc. and install >in ROOT=/gentoo-arm. However, when I try to emerge something like procps, >it fails to find curses.h and termcap.h. Where should the cross-compiler be >looking for these headers? > >
Is ROOT the only variable you set? There are some other important vars, like ARCH, CBUILD, CHOST, CTARGET. Many others are also useful while cross-emerging.
>Another problem I have is that gawk (3.1.4-r4) fails to execute with: >awk: can't resolve symbol '__fixdfsi' >As far as I can determine, __fixdfsi is one of GCC's softfloat library routines. > >I would really like to know how the armeb-uclibc-softfloat stages (found in >experimental/arm/embedded on various Gentoo mirrors) were built. > >
As far as I know, they use catalyst.
>Thanks, >Derick > > >
I am building small Embedded Gentoo systems for i686 and ARM920T architectures and for that I wrote a little script called egg (attached). Perhaps you will find it useful. To create such a system for arm920t (baselayout+uclibc+busybox), I'd simply run: # crossdev -t arm-unknown-linux-uclibc # egg -l uclibc -a arm920t -o /home/gentoo-for-arm Later, to add some packages (e.g. dropbear and ncurses) I'd write: # egg -l uclibc -a arm920t -o /home/gentoo-for-arm -fn dropbear ncurses And finally, when I'm satisfied with my rootfs, I can strip it off unnecessary trash: # egg -l uclibc -arm920t -o /home/gentoo-for-arm -fns This is an extremely simple tool (e.g. you can't set USE flags for individual packages), but still I find it quite sufficient for my work. You can use it to generate a rootfs for an armeb architecture just by adding it to parse_arch() function. If you do that, don't forget to send me the updated version. Hope you find it useful, Stanislaw Raczynski

egg text/plain