From: wireless <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Gentoo on a Arietta G25
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2014 19:09:42
1 On 12/06/14 13:38, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > recently I bought a great little Linux board: Arietta G25
5 > (http://www.acmesystems.it/arietta)
6 >
7 > Since I like Gentoo I installed it instead of the provided Debian
8 > system. The system I used to compile the kernel is -- of course -- a
9 > Gentoo -- Linux PC.
12 Fantastic effort there Meino!
13
14 Ok, so looking here:
15
16 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/
17
18 I cannot determine who is the one to contact to
19 get this offering of current information, correctly
20 formatted to be included in the "boards" section
21 of the gentoo embedded handbook?
22
23 Next point, Meino has offered up a great bit of information
24 that surely does not belong in the Gentoo embedded handbook,
25 but is a great resource to encourage others how to go about
26 hacking away at a gentoo embedded project. So I think the
27 original email can be listed somewhere for others newer to
28 embedded gentoo hacking, as an example. Where would this
29 be placed? Linked to the handbook as "references" or "notes" or
30 "appendix 1" or such?
33 Also, if there is a format we want folks to follow should the
34 gentoo embedded project page have a suggested format to follow?
35
36 Many of those listing in the board section merely contain:
37
38 1. Board specifications
39 2. /proc/cpuinfo
40
41 Maybe the full possible format (optional for the contributor)
42 could have these additional categories:
43
44 make.conf
45
46 bootstrap/init details
47
48 installed packages
49
50 cross compiling details
51
52 Native compiling details
53
54 Special code/hacks included
55 (such as netconsole.c)
56
57 Libraries
58 ulibC, musl, bionic, glibc
59
60 languages
61
62 Added hardware, such as a relay board to
63 power up and down other electronics as an example.
64
65 So, being a long time reader of gentoo embedded, I understand that
66 most folks in the gentoo-embedded-project space, are busy and have
67 a very deep and strong background in embedded linux. I also understand
68 that they do not need a robustly maintained gentoo-embedded-handbook.
69 But, if we are to encourage others to learn and develop into strong
70 gentoo-embedded hackers, then we should provide a pathway for their
71 needs. Expanding the scope of the gentoo-embedded-manual or creating
72 an ancillary document, with many more simplified steps, would be
73 an excellent first step to revitalizing gentoo-embedded, imho.
74
75 Personally, I'd like to see what the 64Bit arm devs have in mind for
76 the Gentoo embedded handbook, or as a minimized full (stage?) offering?
77 I've just been waiting for 64Bit arm boards to come down a bit in
78 price; ymmv.
79
80 I will defer to the leadership decision of the gentoo-embedded-project
81 team.
82
83 sincerely,
84 James Horton