From: Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Licence compliance - capturing all source files used to make a build?
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2012 03:12:36
Hi

> It's not simple. You have to learn the requirements of each license > and see if and how they allow themselves to be combined. There are > businesses doing exactly that. If you want to DIY I think you just > have to start by reading the licenses. You may or may not want an > IP lawyer sitting beside you while doing it.
This is the kind of unhelpful answer that I can find plenty of examples of through google... Consider that all software comes with some kind of licence. Generally if you ask a non opensource company about licensing costs then even the sales droid can help you out. I do find it quite baffling that on average if you question an opensource user then their answer on licensing is that one should redirect the question to one of the most expensive and opaque professions on earth... If your mate gave you that answer in the pub when you asked what price for a beer you would immediately cotton on that they don't really know and are bluffing... The bit people seem to miss is that legal documents are for forcing arbitration in the event of dispute - in the meantime people are supposed to rub along in a cooperative manner. That many OSS advocates seem to feel that employing expensive lawyers is the only way to talk to them shows that they are probably missing the bigger picture... On a more constructive note: I think I do understand the key terms of the main software licences we use, from my understanding they are not all that onerous. So can we perhaps move this topic onto tips, suggestions and practical matters about moving forward? I'm not sure that one of the most expensive type of lawyers is best employed talking scripting tips?
> If you have patches which use a different license than the package > they modify then you have more work to do. Portage doesn't help here. > A good start would be to add record of all patches applied by emerge. > Indeed add it into the epatch command.
OK, so this is what I asked the list. Please don't turn it back at me... Firstly can we not assume that the patches in gentoo *are* in compliance, otherwise gentoo's various packaged binaries would cause Gentoo to be out of compliance? (I'm going to assume that human error will cause at least some mistakes, but lets hope that just like Gentoo isn't being sued right now, copyright holders are actually going to be cooperative in fixing minor issues...!) So, back to the problem: one of the bigger challenges seems to be how to actually capture the absolute list of patches applied? Any suggestions? I already suggested creating my own "patch" utility which saves it's input - seems ugly - other suggestions? I'm not using catalyst. Any tips from others on capturing, presenting, managing and deploying GPL code? Hoping for useful answers here rather than "talk to some really expensive professional who knows nothing about programming". Gentoo seems very attractive for building embedded system - however, there seem to be some missing steps to help with deployment. I thought that was ontopic for this list? Any tips from others who are building things? Cheers Ed W