From: Joe Sapp <nixphoeni@g.o>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-embedded] Audio on a 486
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 04:11:01
1 Hi all,
2
3 I've built a system using a uclibc stage1 tarball with the intention
4 of only running dropbear, boa, and some audio player on an old 486.
5 So far, it boots and I've got mplayer running using alsa as the audio
6 driver, but the audio is choppy at best (I've tried other audio
7 players with the same result). It isn't caught up on buffering or
8 anything like that, just seems that the processor is "too slow" (but
9 I've played audio on it before when it ran Windows 95). First, I
10 tried lowering the output sample rate, but that didn't fix anything.
11 I then switched to the OSS driver, which yielded some progress, but it
12 still remains choppy.
13
14 After doing some searches, it seems that I might have to fiddle with
15 the DMA settings of my audio card (an ALS100 ISA card). Can anybody
16 give me a suggestion on what I can try other than this or how to do
17 something like this in the first place?
20 Joe Sapp