From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Gentoo embedded on HTC S710
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 22:44:19
1 On Fri, 2009-03-20 at 23:32 +0100, Jean-Marc Beaune wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I've been enjoying Gentoo for several years on computers and I was
5 > looking forward to playing with Gentoo embedded.
6 > I finally have the opportunity to get some hardware to start playing
7 > and it's an HTC S710.
8 >
9 > - Is it possible to embed Gentoo on such a device?
10
11 Yes. It's an OMAP850 based device. The guys who are active on developing
12 for that chip are the guys who can be found in #linwizard on freenode
13 (which uses gentoo at it's core for it's userlands so far)
16 http://linwizard.wiki.sourceforge.net/
17
18 http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=679
21 > - Which graphical interface?
22
23 I've been using GPE so far.
24
25 > - I would like to use the phone eventually, are there some nice
26 > applications developped for mobile devices?
27
28 Yes and No.
29
30 > - Is Gentoo embedded the best choice?
31
32 That is a per user choice.
33
34 > - Will I be able to restore windows on it?
35
36 Most likey yes. Chances are you will be doing most everything intially
37 via haret.exe which lets you boot the linux kernel from WM. And upon
38 reboot it goes back to WM.
41 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
42 Gentoo Linux