From: Arkadi Shishlov <arkadi.shishlov@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] file system question
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 07:08:48
1 On 03/31/10 03:44, David Relson wrote:
2 > The many suggestions have been very helpful. This afternoon,
3 > 'sync' was added to fstab. No problems have been seen since.
4 > While not conclusive, the indication is good and we're helpful.
5 >
6 > The device in question is a medical device that continuously takes
7 > readings, graphs them, and every 30 seconds appends a 34 byte data
8 > record to each of two files. It's not exactly disk intensive :->
9
10 Even with data amount is low, you're still looking at something like ~3 x16KB
11 (eraseblock, which could be significantly larger) number of erases cause some
12 data should be updated in place. I would be writing into one file with writes
13 aligned to flash pagesize.
14 If someone hits the power button while flash is working, sync won't help on
15 ext2. Backup power is present, why not to wire power button so that shutdown can
16 be signaled and emergency sync() is performed on filesystem...
17 While ext3 is mature, ext4 has journal checksums.
18
19 > FWIW, often the files hit by the "Stale NFS file handle" problem are
20 > symlinks in /usr/lib. Since _nobody_ writes that directory it's odd
21 > that the problem often shows up there. That's not the only place, but
22 > seems to be the most common one.
23
24 Weird errors may indicate toolchain problems with in errno.h not matching kernel
25 version.
26
27 > The power cord isn't a problem -- there's an onboard battery. However
28 > the power button can be pressed at any time. 'Tis something that we'll
29 > live with. Adding fsync() calls, in addition to 'sync' mounting, should
30 > help.
31
32 I believe it is same and you need only one method.