From: wireless <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] gcc-4.6 / bionic
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2011 14:04:37
1 On 04/05/11 22:39, Christopher Friedt wrote:
2 > Hi James,
3 >
4 > On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 7:40 PM, wireless <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 >> Apologies for my ignorances. This link went a long
6 >> way to present what is bionic libc:
7 >>
8 >> http://codingrelic.geekhold.com/2008/11/six-million-dollar-libc.html
9 >
10 > I've read that page too... not really sure what you're saying though.
11
12 I'm not up to speed on Android et. al......
13
14 I do like the "smallness" of what bionic purports to do. Linux
15 (kernel, kde/gnome, etc etc) are well on the way to IBM/doz
16 bloat-wear, imho. So I do anticipate a return to the basics,
17 (aka smallness).....
20 > You could say I'm leaning toward the "linux without politics" usage
21 > model. It's straight-forward to patch bionic to use /etc/resolv.conf,
22 > and add crypt routines as well as /etc/passwd & /etc/group usage. That
23 > can be done with bsd licensed code.
24
25 Folks should be aware of licenses and choose according to their goals
26 and needs. I've got "no religion" when it comes to licenses. Personally
27 I wish all licenses, patents and politics would just go away...
28 After all, they are just *noise* imho. But noise is a fact of
29 life so we must deal with it, each in our own (best) way.
32 > BSD userland politics aside, I wonder what the typical steps would be
33 > to 'port' gentoo over to a bionic-based libc. Something like the
34 > following?
35
36 BSD has a fundamental flaw, imho. Once you free up the license
37 restrictions, much of what is innovated is rarely shared to put back
38 into the community. I understand folks need to make a few dollars, as a
39 corporation some of that is necessary, but the not contributing back
40 snobbishness of BSD is a long, jaded history (Eric and Sendmail as an
41 example).
42
43 Want another example? OK OAR (was a .org) was a technical governmental
44 body that developed RTEMS:
45
46 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RTEMS
47
48 Now we only find
49 http://www.rtems.com/
50
51 Yet google is funding RTEMS for summer of code.......
52 (Strange world, huh?) If you know any college kids
53 with your tendencies, then SOC at RTEMS would be
54 keen. Suggest a port/marriage to embedded Gentoo.
55 Make yourself *famous*!
58 The NSA actually funded openbsd for a while and still finds "the rat"
59 to be quite brilliant and entertaining......
60
61 http://boingboing.net/2010/12/15/rumors-of-an-fbi-bac.html
64 Personally,
65 I do not find the "spoofs" to be threatening at all; it's the
66 politicians with dark_commercial_threads that worry me; a bunch
67 of "stupid_whores" that are in charge of decision making? Then when
68 they do reach out to someone technical, it's some old (technically
69 famous) fart that is useless and has lost his/her salt! They quickly
70 sell out for a few dollars because they are getting old and worry
71 about retirement and what others think about them.
72
73 America, has few young lions any more, because our judicially
74 dominatrix leadership is pushing agendas where young lions are quickly
75 neutered and marginalized, again and again and again, imho.
76
77 What BSD needs is for the government (US) to fund research and
78 development and support for BSD, much like google funds Linux
79 via the Summer of Code. But as soon as they appoint some tainted
80 agency, with dark connections to the commercial world, much get's
81 tainted, imho. A young lion needs to emerge.
82
83 After all BSD is American, from Berkeley (bunch of hippies)
84 and there are lots of brilliant, unemployed college kids floating
85 around.....(certainly not fact, just my opinion). So that's why I
86 left BSD for Linux; more sharing, support and friendship; Some would
87 say that sense of "community" is because of the gpl licenses.....
90 > 1) manually build a bionic cross-toolchain
91 > 2) do some basic verification with the cross-toolchain (static exe,
92 > exe that uses .so, .so, etc)
93 > 3) build a native toolchain with the cross-toolchain, record build
94 > steps / patches along the way
95 > 4) manually bootstrap gentoo natively, record build steps / patches
96 > along the way
97 > 5) set up overlays: portage, crossdev, bionic, gcc, etc
100 Ah grasshopper, you have *GROWN*! I shall anticipate enjoying
101 the stanza's of your music....
104 peace,
105 James