From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Wireless Router
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 13:07:03
1 Ed W wrote:
2 > Can you educate the ignorant on what kind of problems I might be
3 > about to run into if I'm using a geode for my next project (Alix)?
4
5 I have great experience from using ALIX boards in various projects,
6 and I also know them well hardware-wise from work in the coreboot
7 project.
8
9 I think they're really good value for money, and they can be set up
10 in cute little boxes.
11
12 The Geode is really a non-PCI architecture, which uses some tricks in
13 order to implement a PCI bus. It's PCI compliant, but some functions
14 are virtualized using system management mode. This means that you may
15 not be able to rely on very precise timing in the system, if you're
16 planning on running a RTOS.
17
18 Other than that there's not much. They work well for me. There's also
19 a blog or two with some posts about adding various little board bits
20 into a Gentoo system.
21
22 http://www.twam.info/linux/gentoo/installing-gentoo-on-alix3d3
23 (There are more articles. See http://www.twam.info/tag/alix3d3)