From: Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] embedded ext2 and fsck
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 15:06:30
1 On 06/04/2010 22:20, Marcus Priesch wrote:
2 > however after some months of operation the device failed to boot with
3 > exact the same error message ...
4 >
5 > the reason i suspect was that due to power failures the ext2 got
6 > inconsistent somehow ... which resulted in "stale NFS file handle
7 > messages" ... not very intuitive ;)
11 It would be interesting to hear if these errors "go away" by switching
12 to EXT3?
13
14 There seem to be several things happening here:
15
16 1) The CF card is quietly shuffling data around, so in theory it might
17 move a good sector onto a patch of flash which is worn out, causing it
18 to be corrupted on next read. Similarly when you "write" the card does
19 quite a lot of work in the background and theoretically if power was
20 lost during the shuffling around of sectors this could also cause data loss?
21
22 2) Sudden shutdowns causing the ext2 to be marked dirty and causing
23 subsequent problems (ie not fully read-only mounted
24
25 To be honest, I don't know a lot about how ext2 is mounted read-only,
26 but option 2) above seems unlikely...?
27
28 This suggests that there are real problems with CF cards getting old and
29 the wear levelling causing data to be shuffled onto worn out sectors.
30 And/Or it may prove that the wear leveling causes corruption if power is
31 removed during a write and sectors are only partly shuffled (which kind
32 of makes sense). Both ideas don't seem to be well talked about and
33 there is huge disagreement about the probable lifetimes of various flash
34 devices? Certainly I haven't ever had a bad device so I have never
35 really seen how they fail? However, I have experienced wierd
36 corruptions (on windows!) with certain devices if I unplug them suddenly
37 (ie they loose power suddenly) while they are writing - this could
38 indicate that certain devices have poor implementations of wear levelling?
39
40 Interesting stuff... However, if switching to ext3 fixes things then
41 this sounds like an OS issue and not a CF card issue?
42
43 Cheers
44
45 Ed W