From: Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] glibc+iconv
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 09:27:59
> you aren't the first person to find this behavior undesirable, and when i > implemented it, it was more of "let's save space on things i don't think > anyone will use". but if people are using it, then installing these things > probably makes sense. > -mike
I concede to being somewhat confused on how all the various pieces integrate, but iconv seems like an increasingly useful piece, even if only in a flawed capability that supports only 7 bit to UTF-8 and vice versa. Some experimentation with latest uclibc suggests that it has some working iconv capability, although it appears to also cause a limited locale implementation to be pulled in (which I really don't have a requirement for). I haven't tried to use it in anger, but for example it allows a bunch of ebuilds to compile which previously moaned about missing iconv implementations (admitedly those with tests claiming that the uclibc iconv is incomplete...) Just my (rather ignorant) 2p Ed