From: Vano D <gentoo-dev@××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-embedded] glibc and standard baselayout minimalist installation
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 13:05:56
Hi all,

	I am happy to see that this project is getting started in such a
serious fashion. Let's hope the ride will be fun, exciting and
productive.

	I have played around with the suggestions on the gentoo-dev ml in order
to create a minimalist Gentoo install based on glibc and standard
baselayout and thought of sharing it. Although it is not really
complicated, I still have not seen any guides or scripts for this. The
script can also be used as step by step guide since it's fully commented
and there are explanations on what each step does.

	I also hope to see a subproject of gentoo-embedded be tiny gentoo
installations as someone suggested before (i.e. using glibc) for use
with bootable cdroms, small installations (solid state discs) and
portage-dev-less installations. And why not also include the process of
a bootalbe cdrom also in the subproject? Although I am aware it gets a
bit off-topic.

	I also own a Zaurus 5500 so I would also love to see Gentoo ported to
it and am willing on testing and helping out on this matter. Probably
what we can start is on a guide on how to get the toolchains installed
and how to compile using them. Then from there onwards we can create
gentoo installations which would use the toolchains as compilers and use
uClibc (or glibc) as the libc. Then eventually I guess the idea is to
have special stage files for these.

	Anyhow below is the script/guide I talked about before... I still have
to look at the submerge tool, but looks like submerge helps in making
the process of emerging packages into the chroot more efficient.

	Regards,

	Vano.