From: Natanael Copa <mlists@××××××.org>
To: Jason Cooper <gentoo@××××××××××.net>
Cc: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] CF Sub-Package Mgmt. was Re: hardened uclibc gentoo stages
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 11:43:42
1 On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 21:36:18 -0400
2 Jason Cooper <gentoo@××××××××××.net> wrote:
3
4 > I come from a commercial engineering/development house. We like
5 > version control (Well, someone does, not sure who). We do one-off's,
6 > applications, production items, mil-spec, LEO, and other stuff. (yeah,
7 > I know, great sales pitch :)
8
9 We use our stuff non commercial. We don't intend to make money out of
10 every version. We want to run a network and we dislike downtimes.
11
12 > I can see where one would want to be able to add packages on the
13 > fly to say a wrt54g or an nslu2. Does it seem viable to do that from
14 > a host system (faster compiles, more space), and generate a new images
15 > each time? Or try to unpack the package on the fly on the target?
16 > I'm not sure I see the viability of the latter wrt diskless systems.
17
18 We are running harddisk-less bering routers (when we get all of them up
19 and running there will probably be over 200 of them) Those are pulling
20 runtime packages on the fly. Even if we do that, we need to reboot
21 during upgrades. This year there have been a numbers of upgrades and it
22 would be very nice to prevent the reboots. It is possible.
23
24 With properly designed runtime packages we could replace the cd-rom,
25 upgrade the packages and restart services. Or even better, download
26 upgraded packages over network. Then you would not need to physically go
27 to every router.
30 Natanael Copa
33 gentoo-embedded@g.o mailing list