From: Joshua ChaitinPollak <jpollak@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] FAQ / How To?
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 15:43:35
1 On Jan 26, 2006, at 8:46 PM, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
2
3 > On Fri, 2006-01-20 at 11:16 -0500, Joshua ChaitinPollak wrote:
6 >> Remove /usr/include
7 >
8 > ACtually, aren't these needed or is the presumption that it's removed
9 > _after_ everything's installed?
10
11 No, if you follow the how-to, you'll build a development environment
12 which does all the compiling, and all the packages you build will be
13 build as binaries. Then when you install into the actual embedded
14 file system, it just uncompresses the binary package into the
15 specified directory, like this:
16
17 ROOT=/embedded_fs emerge -K mypackage
18
19 Since all emerge is doing (effectively) is untaring into the
20 directory, the includes within that directory are never used. So you
21 can safely remove:
22
23 /embedded_fs/usr/include
24
25 But you obviously don't want to remove /usr/include from the chroot'd
26 development environment.
29 >> Remove all .keep files
30 > What are .keep files anyway? They're always 0 sized in my system
31
32 Yeah, they are 0 bytes, but they clutter everything up. I think
33 the .keep files exist to keep programs from trimming empty
34 directories from a directory tree.
37 Joshua ChaitinPollak
38 Software Engineer
39 Kiva Systems