From: Joshua ChaitinPollak <jpollak@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] FAQ / How To?
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 15:43:35
On Jan 26, 2006, at 8:46 PM, Ow Mun Heng wrote:

> On Fri, 2006-01-20 at 11:16 -0500, Joshua ChaitinPollak wrote: > >> >> Remove /usr/include > > ACtually, aren't these needed or is the presumption that it's removed > _after_ everything's installed?
No, if you follow the how-to, you'll build a development environment which does all the compiling, and all the packages you build will be build as binaries. Then when you install into the actual embedded file system, it just uncompresses the binary package into the specified directory, like this: ROOT=/embedded_fs emerge -K mypackage Since all emerge is doing (effectively) is untaring into the directory, the includes within that directory are never used. So you can safely remove: /embedded_fs/usr/include But you obviously don't want to remove /usr/include from the chroot'd development environment.
>> Remove all .keep files > What are .keep files anyway? They're always 0 sized in my system
Yeah, they are 0 bytes, but they clutter everything up. I think the .keep files exist to keep programs from trimming empty directories from a directory tree. -- Joshua ChaitinPollak Software Engineer Kiva Systems -- gentoo-embedded@g.o mailing list