From: Daniel <dragonheart@g.o>
To: Erik Petersen <erikj@××××××.com>, gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Introduction
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 00:30:54
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Welcome Erik
5
6 > I'm a Linux oldy ('94 Slackware) but gentoo newbie. I just completed my
7 > first install of gentoo, and without a hiccup last night.
8
9 Not like we expected anything else ;-).
10
11 > My employer has built a coin-op game using mainstream distro and decided to
12 > launch with a hard drive. I would like to go to the game, unplug hard
13 > drive, slap in a 256MB USB flash drive, power up and see the look on their
14 > faces.
15
16 Nothing like suprising people.
17
18 > The game primarily uses the SDL library in runlevel 3 and static binaries
19 > are in the 200k range but there are a couple animations in the 10-20MB
20 > range.
21
22 With regard to uclibc in a product you've seen
23 http://www.uclibc.org/FAQ.html#licensing and
24 http://www.uclibc.org/products.html.
25
26 > I would like to catch up with the list but could not find list archives. Is
27 > there a mail archive for the getnoo-embedded list?
28
29 Also there is irc://irc.freenode.org:6667/#gentoo-embedded for a general
30 chat / catchup / issues / direction and other stuff.
31
32 > I may be able to assist
33 > with the uClibc integration or other grunt work.
34
35 There is a masked version (underdevelopment) in sys-devel/uclibc-buildroot
36 (env ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" USE="debug" emerge sys-devel/uclibc-buildroot).
37 It compiles ok I'm just fixing a few install things over the next few days.
38 It is based off the buildroot toolchain off uclibc.org.
39
40 What it provides is a root fileystem (/var/lib/root_$ARCH) that can be run in
41 a chroot or be used to create a filesystem image.
42
43 Also there is a uclibc crosscompiler /usr/${ARCH}-linux-uclibc/bin/gcc. I'm
44 going to get gcc-config (package) to be able to switch between a native glibc
45 compiler and the uclibc one to emergeing packages can be done with env
46 ROOT=/var/lib/root_${ARCH} emerge ..... Although this feature is in portage I
47 get the feeling it hasn't been extensively tested so always use the -p
48 pretend option with emerge first. Also there is no guarentee that this will
49 work with every package however we aim to get the common ones working.
50
51 In the meantime you can test your libraries and source code can be compiled
52 with uclibc would be a good start.
53
54 Looking forward to seeing you around.
55
56 - --
57 Daniel Black <dragonheart@g.o>
58 irc://irc.freenode.org:6667/#gentoo-embedded
59 http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=gentoo-embedded
60 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/
71 gentoo-embedded@g.o mailing list