From: Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] stages for x86 uclibc
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 10:58:22
On 29/08/2011 15:23, Jude Pereira wrote:
> I've been able to create stages for x86 under the uclibc profile using > catalyst. > I'd like that they get upstream to the gentoo mirrors, so that its > available publicly. > > I'm also willing to maintain them, I'd love to be a gentoo uclibc > maintainer for the x86 arch.
Excellent idea. I am using latest uclibc (slightly newer git release than .32). It is so much better and easier to use than what is in portage that we desperately need to dump the current portage uclibc for all archs that support nptl + uclibc latest! I don't think I have any local patches now to build under this uclibc version...! Additionally I have had some success enabling iconv on latest uclibc. This needs some tweaking to the uclibc src if you are building under a uclibc toolchain (it only builds correctly under a glibc toolchain, but easy to workaround). Patches are on the uclibc mailing list and I can highlight them if needed. It adds around 50KB to my build size, but also it allows git and a bunch of other ebuilds to build successfully without patching - some people may like this trade off - I suspect that the build size could be reduced with some work I have asked if someone would proxy maintain this - I don't have a whole bunch of time, but I would love to see portage get pulled up to date if someone had the time to give it a push? My vote would be for .32 to become stable (subject to normal arch signoffs) and a regular git snapshot to be tracked and keyword masked I think uclibc stages will mainly be useful to highlight that gentoo is a good build environment for embedded and to provide a working toolchain for cross compiling. Love to see this become productionised Cheers Ed W