From: Daniel <dragonheart@g.o>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] use sys-devel/uclibc-buildroot ?
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 00:05:32
First of all I'm sorry to admit sys-devel/uclibc-buildroot is not ready for
anything but very experimental work. It is failing in a lot of ways and the
only reason its in the portage tree is for some very brave souls to attempt
to move this into a usable ebuild.

Having said that the rest of your email is a bit more feasable. As you see
from the next email, "embedded extensions for catalyst",  there is the
potential for embedded profiles to be installed. How this will work for a
cross compiler I assume is with some trick path setting. Portage doesn't
support cross compling yet however it is planned.

My best approach for you at the moment would be grab a livecd and boot your
i586. Set the right cflags and the profile (/etc/make.profile symlink
to ../usr/portage/profiles/embedded). Grab another computer or two and set
them up as distcc computers (RUNNING THE SAME VERSION OF GCC as the i585).
and follow through the setup of a normal installation.

(Please correct the above anyone with a better/more detailed suggestion).

If this work lets us know. Any other small questions feel free to visit the
irc address below and the community will help any way they can.

Thankyou for your interest in gentoo-embedded.