From: AJ Armstrong <aja@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Bootloaders, and more bootloaders
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 01:52:50
1 Quoth he:
2 > I did a little research on bootloaders, and found the selection to be
3 > very platform specific. Here's what I dug up:
4 >
5 > x86 : LILO, GRUB ROLO, Loadlin, Etherboot, LINUXBIOS, U-Boot, RedBoot
6 > ARM : Compaq's bootldr, blob, U-Boot, RedBoot
7 > PowerPC: U-Boot, RedBoot
8 > MIPS : PMON, RedBoot
9 > SuperH : sh-boot, RedBoot
10 > m68k : RedBoot
14 Wow. Good research job. I'd just add that it can also be quite specific
15 to your build architecture (the utilities you use to create, transfer,
16 flash your builds) - I have one that doesn't even use a bootloader - the
17 kernel is flashed into memory location 0x0...0, which is the boot vector -
18 hence the kernel is its own boot loader.
19
20 We might need to look at specific platforms as well as architectures to
21 see what options offer the broadest range of possibilities. It may come
22 down to a whole bunch of HOWTO paragraphs - one for each device/platform.
25 www.clanarmstrong.com
26
27 qui tacet consentire videtur
32 gentoo-embedded@g.o mailing list