From: Hanni Ali <hanni.ali@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] reduced X11 - how to?
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2006 00:15:39
obviously select only the modular parts you actually need don't just emerge
xorg-x11 (this pulls down loads of unnecessary stuff)

determine the exact dependencies necessary

in addition to kdrive (which I'm not hugely familiar with but search "xorg
kdrive" on google and i found some useful mailing lists etc.) USE="minimal"
reduces unneceassary stuff i use minimal as a global for a lot of packages
when building livecd/usb's

I use gentoo-portage to check what use flags do, also actually reading the
ebuild in question can tell you a lot

http://gentoo-portage.com/x11-base/xorg-server/USE#ptabs

check the bottom of the page it mentions

*minimal*
Global: *Install a very minimal build (disables, for example, plugins,
fonts, most drivers, non-critical features)*

i haven't tried kdrive yet but will at some point

Hanni

-- E-mail: hanni.ali@×××××.com Mobile: 07985580147 Website: www.ainkaboot.co.uk