From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Cc: Christian Affolter <c.affolter@××××××××××××××.ch>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] busybox and virtuals (editor, pager etc.)
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 05:55:17
1 On Wednesday 22 July 2009 09:55:55 Christian Affolter wrote:
2 > >>>> However if I perform an emerge world:
3 > >>>> PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT=[...] ROOT=[...] emerge world -vp
4 > >>>>
5 > >>>> Portage wants to merge:
6 > >>>> virtual/editor-0
7 > >>>> app-editors/nano
8 > >>>>
9 > >>>> virtual/pager-0
10 > >>>> sys-apps/less
11 > >>>>
12 > >>>> I have enabled less and vi in my busybox, therefore I don't want to
13 > >>>> install an "external" pager and editor.
14 > >>>
15 > >>> use the profile's package.provided then
16 > >>
17 > >> Yes, that's what I do at the moment... However it would be much nicer if
18 > >> the powerful gentoo use and dependency system could be used for this.
19 > >>
20 > >> Furthermore BusyBox init-scripts (for crond, syslogd etc.) could be
21 > >> installed according to the enabled use-flags, rather than manually.
22 > >
23 > > With as many features as busybox supports this could get out of control
24 > > quickly with USE= flags for per-options.
25 >
26 > That's true. On the other hand, providing use-flags only for existing
27 > virtuals (for example cron, syslog, tar, pager, editor etc.), should
28 > avoid an overblown use-list. In addition ebuilds such as php or apache
29 > also come with a fair amount of use flags (which is really handy, in my
30 > opinion).
31
32 once conditionalized PROVIDE support is released in portage, that is pretty
33 easy to do.
34 PROVIDE="moo? ( virtual/moo )
35 foo? ( virtual/foo )
36 etc..."