From: Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] cell for embedded gentoo
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 07:44:38
1 wireless wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I'm planning on getting a cell phone so I can put openmoko
5 > or embedded Gentoo on it. I live in Florida and
8 A large part of the problem seems to be that the phone modules
9 themselves require binary firmware modules and so the closest you appear
10 to be able to get is usually to be a fancy PDA with a remotely
11 controlled cell phone module
12
13 Actually the cell phone modules themselves are fairly easy to obtain
14 (and not too pricey). If you just want a fun project to hack on then
15 also see the Siemens modules which can come with an onboard processor,
16 java processor and sometimes GPS. These are really easy to code for and
17 build small projects (tracking things, etc)
18
19 I think gumstix also has a phone module and screen (but I think you need
20 to build your own case?)
23 Good luck
24
25 Ed W