From: Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: joerg.faschingbauer@×××.at
Cc: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] root on squashfs+aufs
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2009 17:37:01
1 Hi, this seems extremely similar to what I am targeting!
4 joerg.faschingbauer@×××.at wrote:
5 > When all packages have been stacked, hook scripts that come with the
6 > packages are run in a chroot. For example, packages can add their own
7 > init scripts by calling rc-update, or add users, or whatnot.
10 I assume you run these hook scripts each time you boot then? This seems
11 like a good idea, I had been thinking about putting that on the writable
12 partition and dreaming up some way to ensure that the scripts were only
13 run once - I think your design is cleaner (although need to watch boot
14 speeds)
15
16 I would be very interested to pick over your implementation details if
17 you were willing to share (offlist if you don't think it's sensible to
18 post publically?). I'm quite interested in how you picked the package
19 list and ordered them and exactly how you implemented the hook scripts
20 and failure conditions?
21
22 > What I am extremely excited about is that everything worked right out
23 > of the box. Not even one single problem. I expected aufs to fail with
24 > many branches (currently we have some 50 of them), busybox to be not
25 > compatible enough with the shell, initramfs to impose too many
26 > restrictions ... - nothing.
29 That's really good to hear! I am currently only planning about 3-4
30 packages, but based on what you say I might look to split my packages
31 more granually...
32
33 Thanks for sharing
34