From: Rahul <rahul.thakur@×××××××××.nz>
To: Jason Cooper <gentoo@××××××××××.net>
Cc: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] newbie: How to get started with PDA development
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 01:24:54
1 Hi Cooper,
2
3 Thanks for taking time for a detailed reponse.
4
5 Here's something about emulators I want to share and that I
6 got to know yesterday:
7
8 - Looks like http://www.handhelds.org/ has a few resources.
9 - Xcopilot is one with uClinux, and then there is ARMUlator.
10
11 Have been trying to get to www.uclinux.org, looks like they
12 got problems with the server :(
13
14 It would be nice to put your notes on one of the
15 gentoo-embedded pages. I am happy to put these up if anyone
16 on the list can tell me what is the best way to go about it
17 and even maintain them as I learn more about embedded
18 development.
19
20 PS: There's an article that I bookmarked y'day of setting up
21 Xcopilot, I can post a link here for other n00bs like
22 me'self!
23
24 Cheers,
25
26 Rahul
29 ----- Original Message Follows -----
30 > Rahul (rahul.thakur@×××××××××.nz) scribbled:
31 > > I am an absolute n00b with respect to Embedded
32 > > development and I have been googl'ing for some days now
33 > > to find some starters resources for getting started with
34 > embedded development but not happy with results.
35 >
36 > Somewhat similar situation here. The first thing I had to
37 > realize is that there was _no_ cookie-cutter method to
38 > embedded development. I've seen it described as a "black
39 > art", and honestly, that's pretty on the mark. Each
40 > target (pda, processor, board, whatever) needs to have a
41 > toolchain, a c library, a kernel, a root environment, etc.
42 > All tuned to that particular target.
43 >
44 > I would suggest picking one target and doing a project for
45 > it first. There are a lot of devices entering the market
46 > with high potential for being targets. Hell, just on my
47 > desk I have a wrt54g wireless router(mips?), a nslu2
48 > network storage appliance (ARM XScale), a sharp zaurus
49 > (ARM XScale), and an ipod (ARM no mmu). At work I have
50 > an embedded PowerPC board. Way too many distractions.
51 > :)
52 >
53 > And unfortunately, the powerpc board at work takes
54 > priority. There's no challenge with it though as it
55 > already has a serial console (no need to solder), and we
56 > got the TimeSys toolchain with it.
57 >
58 > > I have a few queries:
59 > > (1) How can I set up my gentoo installation for embedded
60 > > development ? Does gentoo comes with embedded
61 > development tools ?
62 >
63 > Simple answer: Yes, but not like emerging a package.
64 > Gentoo has crossdev, which is a script for building
65 > cross-toolchains, but it takes a bit of work to get
66 > success. google for 'crossdev', search bugs.gentoo.org,
67 > and the forums.
68 >
69 > There are other scripts available out there in the wild.
70 > Hunt around uclibc.org, especially if you want to use
71 > uclibc (small substitute for glibc).
72 >
73 > > (2) Where can I find literature to get started with
74 > > embedded development on linux ? Where can I get tools
75 > and manuals ?
76 >
77 > Busybox, uclibc, crossdev, and crosstool are a few good
78 > keywords. O'Reilly (Publisher) has a book or two on
79 > embedded development. You may want to sign up for the
80 > crossgcc mailinglist.
81 >
82 > > (3) I am interested in developing for handhelds/PDAs
83 > > using linux as an OS. Are there any emulators available
84 > > that I can set up to develop for a particular target
85 > device ?
86 >
87 > With the price of targets coming down, most folks just buy
88 > the target. I haven't seen a mention of any emulators.
89 > However, keep in mind, I'm about as new as you are.
90 >
91 > Side note: I was spoiled with Gentoo being within a day
92 > or two of current releases. The embedded world doesn't
93 > seem to move that fast. Be prepared to try older versions
94 > of packages when building your toolchains.
95 >
96 > hth,
97 >
98 > Cooper.